While getting blocked drains every now and then is inevitable, there are ways for you to avoid the frequent occurrence of problematic drains. You can always call qualified plumbers such as those at Fresh Flo but that would mean spending money when you can avoid doing so. Here are some tips to prevent drain issues.
- Do not pour used oil into the drain, especially hot grease. When it cools down or when ran by cool water, the grease could harden over time and eventually blocks the drain. Pour used oil to a plastic container or an old coffee can then dispose it properly into the trash bin.
- Use strainer or a drain-gate on your drain. This will prevent hair, food particles, food leftover and other materials from getting directly into the drain. You can find different types of drain-gate in your local hardware or plumbing stores. Make sure that the screen fits on your drain perfectly.
- Coffee grounds and other food particles should be thrown directly into the trash bin. Having this as a habit will prevent unnecessary calls to plumbers at Fresh Flo.
- You can also prevent gunk build up by pouring boiling water into the drain every after use. Hot water allows oil in food particles to run smoothly down the drain instead of sticking onto the interior surface of drain pipes.
- Baking soda is an effective cleaning agent and it can also absorb foul odor. Pour a handful of dry baking soda into the drain then pour hot water onto it. This will eliminate the foul odor of your drains.
- If you noticed that water is no longer running smoothly on your drain, pour a cup of vinegar onto the drain and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. After that, pour hot water into the drain to release gunk.
- Have a qualified plumber from Fresh Flo check your plumbing system including the pipes regularly or at least once a year. This will ensure that your piping system is in good condition and there are no leaks or broken pipes along.